Konark Sun Temple located in Odisha was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984 and Indian Archaeological Survey is the guardian of this temple. But a regional newspaper recently reported on the irregularities in the repair of the temple in its report. As the matter of irregularity in the repair of the temple came to light, the Odisha government has demanded a committee to investigate it.
Logic of the government of Odisha
- The carving of the temple is a symbol of Odisha pride, in which contemporary life and daily activities are depicted through refined and symbolic depiction. In such a case, it is a matter of serious concern that the fact that the fact that the Archaeological Survey of India has been removed by the fact that plain stones are being replaced by the removal of 40% of the artistic carving of the present Konark Sun Temple in the regional newspaper report.
Arguments of the Archaeological Survey of India
- The Archaeological Survey of India has dismissed the allegations of replacement of artistic stones of the temple, saying that no carved stone has been replaced by the Konark Sun Temple nor the guidelines related to the repair of world heritage sites were violated. is.
Konark Sun Temple
- The Konark Sun Temple situated on the banks of the Bay of Bengal is a huge representation of Lord Ratha. This temple is located in Puri district of Odisha.
- The 24 wheels of the chariot are decorated with symbolic designs and seven horses are depicted carrying this chariot.
- It is one of India’s selected sun temples.
- Konark Sun Temple, located on the eastern coast of the Indian subcontinent, is one of the excellent examples of temple architecture and art.
Why in the discussion?
According to information received from India-specific data released recently by the Global Cancer Observatory (Globocan), 2018, a significant increase has been recorded in the cases of cancer in the country from 2012 to 2018, which That’s a matter of concern. According to this data, about 11.57 lakh cases of cancer cases were recorded in the year 2018, which is 15.7 percent more than 10 lakh cases registered in the year 2012.
What is globocan?
- Globocan is an interactive web-based platform for presenting global statistics of cancer in relation to cancer control and research.
- The recently published Globokan, 2018 database by IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) has estimated the incidence and mortality rates caused by 36 types of cancer in 185 countries of the world.
- In the year 2018, the number of deaths due to cancer has increased by 12.1 percent, compared to seven lakh people in 2012 due to this.
- According to the report, the most worrying thing is that the number of lip and oral cavity cancer has seen the highest increase in the number, from the year 2012 to the increase of 114.2 percent has been recorded.
- There was also an increase of 10.7 percent in breast cancer cases. In the year 2018, 1.62 lakh cases of breast cancer were reported compared to 1.45 lakh cases of 2012.
- One good thing among all this is that the number of cases of cervical cancer decreased by 21.2 percent. While 1.23 lakh cervical cancer cases were reported in 2012, only 96,922 cases were reported in the year 2018.
Smokeless tobacco is the challenge
- Smokeless tobacco-SLT is a big challenge in all of this scenario. This is for the first time that a special report has been published by a magazine on non-smokeless tobacco. According to the report, currently this problem has remained a cause of concern in 13 states of the country.
- As a global public health crisis, about 360 million people from 140 countries of the world are using smoke-free tobacco. Not only that, this is the reason SLT is the cause of more than 650,000 deaths globally.
- About 200 million Indians consume SLT, which causes about 350,000 deaths every year.