Recently the MoU was signed between the Department of Biotechnology and Cancer Research, UK for Indo-UK Cancer Research Initiative. We all know that cancer is a global epidemic and requires multinational efforts to deal with it. Through this initiative launched by both countries, India and UK scientists and researchers will find a solution to the cheap treatment of cancer.
About the initiative
- The Indo-UK Cancer Research Initiative was launched during the first finder conference organized in New Delhi from 14-16 November, 2018. The conference was organized to provide knowledge and sharing opportunities for scientists, researchers, medical workers, public health experts etc.
- Indo-UK Cancer Research Initiative is a bilateral research initiative for five years between the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology and Cancer Research, CRUK.
- Under this initiative, special attention will be given for cheap cancer treatment.
- Each of the DBT and CRUK will invest 5 million pounds during these five years and will try to get additional investment from other partners.
- The Indo-UK Cancer Research Initiative will identify the challenges of research that will be based on the health of cancer, prevention and care.
- This decision has been taken in the light of the joint statement given by India and UK during the UK visit of the Indian Prime Minister.
- UK and India are sharing their experience and knowledge to deal with global challenges.
- India’s Biotechnology Department (DBT) and Cancer Research, UK have proposed to invest 10 million pounds for bilateral research initiatives.
Currently no country is untouched by cancer. Millions of people worldwide are affected by this disease every year. Considering the need to research together with the world’s scientists to deal with the challenge of cancer, this initiative launched by India and UK is surely commendable